From Joe’s Crab Shack to the Red Lobster, there is no shortage of excellent seafood restaurants, and the menus are large and varied. But that is part of the challenge, deciding what to pick. Well no need to fret as we’re here to guide you.
Most offer a bread basket as well as stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktails, calamari and even non seafood treats like chicken wings so you can take your pick. You may also order a vegetable salad with vinegar or salad dressing.
Vegetable salads are delicious and especially suited if you’re on a diet. They’re low in calories, rich in vitamins, fiber and other nutrients. They also curb your hunger so you don’t over eat during the main course. The vegetables also complement the seafood you’ll be eating later.
The Raw Bar
Check out the raw bar as there are a lot of good options there such as clams, oysters and shrimp cocktails. They’re either served as is or spruced up in different ways. These are not only delicious but also nutritious as they have vitamins, low calories and protein rich. The health conscious will love the omega 3 fatty acids.
Don’t forget to try the cocktail sauce as it goes great with a lot of seafood. An alternative way to add flavor is go for a dash of Tabasco sauce or squeeze a bit of lemon. Tabasco sauce is particularly good for those with indigestion.
Of course we can’t talk about seafood without mentioning chowder. Whether it is creamy fish, lobster or clam chowder it’s always going to be a treat for the taste buds. If you prefer a low calorie alternative you may order broth soups.
Entrees can be prepared in just about any way you like. Whether it’s fillets or whole fish, seafood restaurants can do a lot with them. For something different have your fish roasted, baked or grilled. These are not only delicious but also rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Mackerel and salmon are rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
Most seafood restaurants offer a handful of side dishes. Popular options include spinach salad, baked potatoes, sauteed spinach, roasted vegetables, pasta and quinoa.
Side dishes can be served up in various ways. Potatoes can be baked, served Spanish style or fried. For something tasty you can opt for creamed spinach and pair it up with some fries. If plain baked potato isn’t for you, add some sour cream, cheese or butter on it. A low fat way to flavor potatoes is to add lemon juice, fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
Vegetable side dishes can be served in various ways, and you can have them grilled dry. For more flavor you can ask for veggies that are cooked in butter or oil. In many seafood menus you can also specify how you want the lobster, crabs and shrimps are cooked. If not you can find the options in the menu.
Tips and Suggestions
- For extra richness and flavor, dip that shrimp, mussel or lobster in butter. If you want to savor the natural taste of seafood however it is best to skip the dip.
- Want to cut down on the calories a bit? Avoid the dip and use a squeeze of lemon instead.
- Ask the waiter if there are menu items that haven’t been prepared in oil or butter if you’re calorie conscious.
- If you want optimum flavor go for fish and chips, a fried shrimp basket or fried, breaded, batter dipped seafood.
- Heavy bisques, cheese and chowder go well with almost all types of seafood.
- For a delicious entree you’ll want to try out baked potato with sour cream and butter.
- Seafood restaurants offer a wide array of sauces and dips. Wine based sauce is popular with many as well as tomato sauce, salsa, mustard dill sauce and herb and spices. Some restaurants even have fruit based dips.
Want to indulge? Try these:
- Fried fish and clams
- Creamy chowder
- Anything broiled, stuffed and baked
- Cheese sauce and cream sauce serving
- Fish and chips
Looking for healthy seafood options? Try the following.
- Freshly cooked
- In mustard dill sauce
- Cajun style seafood, blackened and broiled
- Blackened bluefish
- Swordfish kabobs
- Steamed veggies
- Mesquite grilled tuna
- Steamed halibut
- Poached lemon
- Mahi mahi
There are few meals more savory during the summer than seafood with friends. Hopefully the guide above was able to help you make the right choice.